Monday 8 January 2007

Lenore by Roman Dirge


Roman Dirge is way cool. He makes dark twisted comics such as Lenore shown above. (click on them to make them bigger so you can read them) He has a dark sense of humour and has created a dark yet cute world with lots of weird critters. In an interview Dirge said 'I think it really keeps my sanity to output dark humour like that for others to see. Also, I'm kinda trying to prove a point that you can express a different kind of art style and not stick to the same crap that we see over and over again. I have been drawing Lenore for about 6 years. I've been determined to not change the humour to make it more acceptable to a wider majority. '
Dirge constructs his stories well and often uses the same frame with just a little tiny thing happening over three or four frames. This creates suspense and leads the reader straight into the joke. Dirge has a strong appreciation for the innocence of childrens stories and this is often where he finds his inspiration; ' I go to the children's sections at book stores and look through the fairy tales and fables. I always think that this is a funny visual because I have about 50 tattoos. 6 of them on my neck and throat. The little kids and their mums look nervous. Anyway, I like to take the cute stories and just "twist" them a little bit.'

No comments: